At Eastbay Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, Dr. Alan P. Chun makes sure that all patients receive the highest level of care in a friendly and comfortable environment. In an effort to save you time, we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions that patients have when coming to Eastbay OMS.
Is there a charge for the consultation?
Yes, there is a charge for the consultation exam. This is because the consultation is an actual exam.
During this exam, Dr. Chun will asses your current situation and give you a recommendation on treatment options. After the consultation, it is up to you on whether or not you would like to move forward with one of the treatment options.
Your out-of-pocket expense for the consultation and exam will be approximately $50-$150 depending on the complexity of your case.
Do you have payment plans?
No, we do not provide payment plans directly through our office. However, we strongly recommend that you contact your insurance (or have us contact your insurance) and get an estimate on how much of your procedure will be covered.
If you have more questions regarding insurance, please visit our page on insurance information.
What if I don’t have insurance and want to pay using cash or check?
No insurance isn’t a problem if you have the funds necessary to cover both your consultation and procedure. For standard patients, we provide a 5% discount if paid in full on the day of treatment. We also provide Senior Citizens (65+) with a 10% discount on all services.
- American Express
How many years has Dr. Chun been in practice?
Dr. Alan P. Chun has been practicing for over 20 years in San Ramon, CA.
Do you do sedation?
Yes, we do offer our patients the option for sedation (usually in the form of anesthesia) during the treatment. You can check out our before anesthesia recommendations here. It is important to keep in mind that certain patients may not be good candidates for sedation if they have one of the following conditions:
- Any elderly patients that have any form of dementia or Alzheimers
- People allergic to the sedative medicine
- People on medications that may react with the sedatives
You also want to make sure you have a ride home arranged so you do not drive with the after-effects of the sedation.
If you have any questions or concerns about sedation please contact our office.
What insurance providers are you partnered with and/or are you a preferred provider of?
We are contracted with Delta Dental PPO, Delta Dental Premier, MetLife PPO, and United Concordia PPO. We always welcome any PPO insurance that is not listed above. Some of the additional ones we accept are:
- Aetna PPO
- Guardian PPO
- Cigna PPO
And more. Please contact our office to see if your insurance is accepted.
What about insurance regarding hospital cases?
Most of our hospital cases are billed through dental insurance. In some cases, we are able to bill medical insurers directly. This will usually only happen regarding:
- Hospital cases
- Trauma cases
Please contact our office to see if your procedure qualifies. Additional information regarding our financial policy can be found here.
Dr. Chun will diagnose and treat you based upon his own professional judgment and not on the cost or type of procedure. The treatment that he recommends will be the one he feels will solve your problems in the most efficient and effective way possible. After we present you with your recommended treatment options, our team will contact your insurance provider and request estimates on what they will cover and what you will have to pay out-of-pocket. In the case that your insurance does not cover the recommended procedure, you can decide whether you would like to proceed. If you proceed with treatment it is up to you to pay for the procedure with cash or check, or you can contact a dental finance company like CareCredit.com and set up some form of payment plan with them.
It is important to note that some insurance plans or employers may exclude coverage for both emergency and necessary treatments as a way to keep their costs down. This means that your particular plan may not include the procedure or treatment that Dr. Chun has recommended for you moving forward.
Your Explanation Of Benefits (EOB) is the document insurance companies provide that states what you will and won’t be covered for. Inside your EOB, you will find the benefits you are currently receiving, the amount your insurer is paying, and the types of charges that are both accepted and not accepted regarding your current plan.
Your EOB statement will usually include your deductible, benefit paid, and the remaining balance. The remaining amount is typically the amount that you are responsible for paying for. A more detailed description of your EOB can be found in the article, Understanding An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) Statement.
Dr. Chun and our staff will do our best to answer all of the insurance questions that you may have. When asking insurance questions, it is important to remember that there are a lot of different options and plans available and most of the time it is the patient’s employer that chooses both their plan and benefits.
If you think your benefits won’t be able to cover your procedure, you may want to first discuss your options with either your plan administrator or explore possible alternatives.
If you have a pressing question that you feel wasn’t addressed here, feel free to contact us.
Phone: (925) 833-8516
Address: 9301 Fircrest Ln #2, San Ramon, CA 94583
Other Patient Information Pages
We have consolidated all of the most important information that you will need before, during, and after time here as a patient.
- Once you or your dentist has determined that you need to see Dr. Chun, the first thing you need to do is call our office to schedule an appointment. When you call our office our receptionist, Stephanie, will likely be the one to assist you. She will ask you to bring three things: referral slip, x-rays, list of medications, and insurance information. Read more >>
- Dr. Alan P. Chun, DDS, MD, Inc. is open Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. We will schedule your appointment as promptly as possible. If you have pain or an emergency situation, every attempt will be made to see you that day. Read more >>
- For your convenience, we accept, cash, personal checks, and most credit cards. Payment is due at time of service. We deliver the finest care at the most reasonable cost to our patients. Therefore, payment is due at the time service is rendered. If you have questions regarding your account, please contact us or call our office at 925-833-8516. Read more >>
- At Eastbay OMS we make every effort to provide you with the finest care and most convenient financial options. We work hand-in-hand with you to maximize your insurance reimbursement for covered procedures. Remember to please bring your insurance information with you to the consultation so that we can expedite reimbursement. Read more >>
- A notice of Health Information Practices is available in our office. Read more >>